Camper Helicopter Reservations
OPTIONS TO FLY IN GEAR IF YOU ARE SKIING OR HIKING TO ASSINIBOINE
Camper Helicopter Dates for 2010
Winter Helicopter Reservations from : February 12-April 5, 2010
Summer Helicopter Reservations from June 18-October 3, 2010
FLIGHT DAYS- CHECK IN TIMES: Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 12:30 pm at the Mount Shark Heliport. On Long Weekends the flight days are on Fridays and Mondays.
WINTER COST: $150.00 PER PERSON/EACH WAY-from the Mount Shark Heliport (includes 5% GST)
SUMMER COST: $160.00 PER PERSON/EACH WAY-from the Mount Shark Heliport (includes 12% HST)
Fuel Surcharge: We reserve the right to charge a surcharge if fuel price increases affect supplier rates charged to Assiniboine Lodge.
Flights should be booked at least two weeks in advance. Helicopter prices are subject to change without notice. Our reservation office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. Last minute bookings are on a space-available basis only.
CAMPER WEIGHT LIMIT: 40 Pounds PER PERSON (18 kg) Plus 1 pair of skis per person in the winter. Your gear will be weighed. Overweight charges are $2.00 per pound.
Please note that you are responsible for picking up your gear at Assiniboine, Mount Shark, and Canmore. We often have to remove extra gear tied to the outside of packs in order to fit the packs in the helicopter. Check to make sure that you have everything when you pick up your bag. Assiniboine Lodge is not responsible for lost gear.
FOR CAMPER HELICOPTER RESERVATIONS CALL:
Tel: (403) 678-2883
MOUNT ASSINIBOINE LODGE
Office & Reservations Manager- Sandy Wing
8:30 am-2:30 p.m. Mon-Fri Mountain Time
Fax: (403) 678-4877
MOUNT ASSINIBOINE LODGE
Box 8128, Canmore, Alberta
Canada T1W 2T8
CAMPER HELICOPTER BOOKING CONDITIONS
Payment is taken as agreement to the following terms:
- No helicopter reservations will be held without full payment by Visa, MasterCard or money order at the time the booking is made. Personal cheques are not accepted.
- Your verbal authorization of the use of your card indicates your compliance with our booking conditions and confirms your reservations whether or not you have actually signed the appropriate draft.
- We do not send out receipts. Confirmation of your payment will appear on your monthly credit card statement (deposits payable to Mount Assiniboine Lodge Ltd.). If you pay by money order your flimsy copy is your receipt.
Credit card payments will be processed in Canadian funds, based on the bank exchange rate the day the payment is processed.
If your bags are overweight you will be charged $2.00 per pound for amounts over 40 lb (18 kg) per person. These charges will be applied directly to your credit card.
$20.00 Cdn of the helicopter fee per person is non-refundable in the event of cancellation. You can cancel up to 48 hours prior to the helicopter trip. If a cancellation occurs before the 48 hour cut-off time, you will forfeit the $20.00 per person non-refundable booking fee. If the cancellation occurs less than 48 hours prior to the trip the whole helicopter fee will be forfeited. Regardless of when you cancel your flight you must call our office.
There are no refunds for trips already in progress
We are not responsible for delays or cancellations due to poor access conditions: poor roads, restrictions on trail access, weather, flight delays. Flights are sometimes delayed due to inclement weather. You will still need to be at Mount Shark on time as we often fly between storms after waiting for weather systems to clear. If the weather does not clear and we are unable to fly the flights are rescheduled to the following day.
Carry-on bags are not permitted on laps in the passenger seats. All of your gear must go in the luggage compartments of the helicopter.
You must let the helicopter loader know if you are carrying bear spray or white gas. Both of these items must go in the tail boom of the helicopter.
Children 2 years and older must pay for a seat on the helicopter
Pulks (ski toboggans) for children do not fit in the helicopter
No dogs are allowed on the helicopter. Leave your dogs at home
Space is very limited on the 6 passenger helicopter. Campers are allowed 40 lbs. per person (18 kg) total plus ONE PAIR OF SKIS PER PERSON. Your bags will be weighed at the Mount Shark Heliport.
If your bags are overweight there will be a $2.00 per pound overcharge that will be taken automatically off your credit card . Wear your bulky winter clothing on the helicopter. Bring a soft internal-frame pack and small duffels (12"x 20"x12")-these fit best in the helicopter. Try to avoid having gear which dangles off your pack. NO SUITCASES PLEASE. Do Not Bring Ski Bags- they don’t fit in the helicopter rack.
TYING YOUR SKIS FOR THE FLIGHT
Place the skis together and loop the ski strap from each pole over the ski tips. Twist the two poles together, tightening the wrist straps, then secure the poles to the skis with ski straps or strapping tape.
|Options to fly only your gear if you are
skiing or hiking to Assiniboine
Flying in gear- if you are skiing or hiking into Assiniboine
Cost: $2.00 per pound/ each way.
Please note that you are responsible for picking up your gear at Assiniboine, Mount Shark, and Canmore. We often have to remove extra gear tied to the outside of packs in order to fit the packs in the helicopter. Check to make sure that you have everything when you pick up your bags. Assiniboine Lodge is not responsible for lost gear.
- Drop your gear off before 9:00 am at Alpine Helicopters in Canmore (on the eastern access into Canmore- just off the Trans-Canada Highway). Go into the log building to get luggage tags for bags flying in. Each bag must be tagged or it will not be picked up. PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LUGGAGE TAG AND THE DATE THAT YOU ARE HIKING IN. Drop the luggage to be flown into the Lodge at the Assiniboine Lodge bin by the grey building. Our driver will make sure that the bags are picked up and flown into the lodge. The bags will be weighed at Assiniboine Lodge. You can pay for flying gear at the Lodge (by Visa, Mastercard or cash- no personal checks). NO SUITCASES PLEASE. Medium-size duffel bags (i.e. 12"x 20"x12") and internal soft-frame packs fit best in the helicopter.
Flying Gear Out if you are Skiing or Hiking Out of Assiniboine
Cost: $2.00 per pound/each way
- Drop off your gear at Assiniboine Lodge before 10:00 am on the flight day. Gear will be weighed at the Lodge and each bag must be tagged for the flight out. PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LUGGAGE TAG . Pay for flying out gear at the Lodge (by Visa, Mastercard or cash- no personal cheques). Your gear will be flown out to Canmore and stored in the Assiniboine Lodge bin by the grey building at Alpine Helicopters. Gear can be picked up from 2:30 p.m. UNTIL 6:45 PM at Alpine Helicopters in Canmore IN THE SUMMER AND FROM 2:30 PM UNTIL 5:00 PM IN THE WINTER. This Bin Is Locked At Night. If You Don’t Pick Up Your Bags By 6:45 p.m. You Will Have To Wait Until 7:00 Am The Next Morning.
|Helicopter Procedures and Operations
HELICOPTER MEETING PLACE AND TIME
12:30 PM CHECK IN DURING THE WINTER AND SUMMER AT THE MOUNT SHARK HELIPORT (see Map) on SUNDAYS, WEDNESDAYS AND FRIDAYS. On long weekends the flight days will be on Fridays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. If you are booked on the Canmore flight, you need to check in at the Canmore Municipal Heliport (Alpine Helicopters) no later than 11:00 am.
GETTING TO THE MOUNT SHARK HELIPORT
Located 41.3 km West of Canmore, Alberta. This is a 1 hour drive from Canmore, a 1.5 hour drive from Banff, a 2.5-3 hour drive from Calgary. Drive to Canmore. Drive West through town following the Spray Lakes signs and Canmore Nordic Center signs. Drive past the Canmore Nordic Centre, up the steep hill on the Smith-Dorrien Road through Kananaskis Country. This is a good gravel road. You will be on the left side of the Spray Lakes. At 34.4 km you will see the Buller Mountain sign. Down the road is Mount Shark/Engadine Lodge (you will see a bridge on your right before the turn-off.) Turn right at the Engadine Lodge sign and drive 5 km to the Mount Shark Heliport (on your left). Park your car in the parking lot. DO NOT LEAVE MONEY OR CREDIT CARDS IN YOUR CAR. You will need to carry your bags 200 metres down the road to the Helicopter Landing Pad (north of the parking lot). See Map.
THE PROCEDURE AT THE MOUNT SHARK HELIPORT
12:30 PM CHECK IN AT MOUNT SHARK-ARRIVE EARLY- THE HELICOPTER WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU AND YOUR FLIGHT TIME MIGHT BE DELAYED OR YOUR FLIGHT CANCELLED IF YOU ARE LATE.
Register with our staff at the Helipad and tell him that you are a camper going to the Naiset Huts, the Hind Hut or the Campground (he will check your name off a list ). This person will tell you which flight you are on and will give you a helicopter safety orientation talk. You gear will be loaded and unloaded by our staff. You can pick up your gear after the helicopter has left the pad. NEVER APPROACH THE HELICOPTER FROM THE REAR AND NEVER APPROACH THE HELICOPTER WITH YOUR SKIS IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION. Carry your light items (hats, light coats, handbags) with you and be sure to hang onto these items when the helicopter lands. We make every effort to fly you with your bags. If your gear does not arrive with you on your flight you can expect it on one of the next consecutive flights.
THE HELICOPTER PROCEDURE AT ASSINIBOINE PROVINCIAL PARK
You will be unloaded by Assiniboine Lodge staff. Proceed away from the helicopter as directed by the staff. Wait until the helicopter leaves before picking up your bags. Winter flights will land at the Helipad beside Mount Assiniboine Lodge. Be prepared to carry your gear over to the Naiset Huts (a 5 minute walk from the Lodge). Summer flights land at the communal pad between Assiniboine Lodge and the Naiset Huts. Be prepared to carry your gear to the Naiset Huts (5 minutes), the Campground (30 minutes), or the Hind Hut (4-6 hours).