Canmore & Kananaskis Country
The Canadian Rockies town of Canmore, located just 15-minutes from Banff National Park, is a town literally built around recreation and entertainment.
From the 1890s up until the late 1970s, Canmore was a coal-mining town. When the mines closed in 1979 due to low demand for coal, it probably didn’t occur to people living there that the town had a future as a resort and recreation destination. The province dismantled most of the mining infrastructure over the next year, and the town’s population dwindled from 6,500 to a low of about 3,000. In many ways, Canmore became a blank slate, waiting for some new future to make its mark.
That came in 1980s, when the Canmore Nordic Center was constructed for the 1988 Winter Olympics, putting the town on the map as a recreation destination.
"That was really the turning point," says Donna Trautman, manager of Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore, and a long time resident.
The following decades would see incredible changes—the town became known not just for the Nordic Center, but also for the wide array of recreation activities it offers. The population boomed to its current 16,000, and an infrastructure to support tourism sprang up. Canmore now hosts a wide selection of stunning full service hotels, charming bed and breakfasts and every accommodation in between, as well as an eclectic collection of world-class restaurants, pubs and patios. Read more.
You can check out our Live Web Cam feed for Canmore, Alberta.
Got a question? A cool story? Something to say about the Canmore & Kananaskis Country? Visit our forums!
- No items.
Official site: http://www.canadianrockies.net/canmore/
Considered to be the residential community of the area - but secretly is the HUB of the Bow Valley Community - Canmore has an established infrastructure geared towards an outdoor lifestyle mixed with all the facilities you need to enjoy your stay.
The Canadian Rockies are the perfect place to visit for a family vacation.
- Emergency Services
- Picnic Areas – Banff National Park
- Family Walks and Hikes
- Stuff for kids to do in the Canadian Rockies
Many accommodations in this area fill up for the summer holidays at a rapid pace. If you are planning on visiting the Canadian Rockies do not hesitate – the Bow Valley receives over 5 million visitors a year – the bulk of which visit in June – Sept. followed by a second wave for the ski season – book in advance.
Featuring images from Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay and Waterton National Parks in the Canadian Rockies by by professional nature photographer John E. Marriott.
Wedding, commercial, stock, wildlife and nature photographers from the Canadian Rockies.
The CanadianRockies.org forum is the premier message board for the United States and Canadian Rockies. This board is for travelers and vacationers to post their trip reports, questions and give advice.
- Kananaskis Live Webcam “Kananaskis Heli Tours”
- Canmore Live Webcam “Elevation Place”
- Canmore Live Webcam “Railway Avenue”
- Canmore Live Webcam “Main Street”
- Canmore Live Webcam “Civic Centre Plaza”
Banff and Jasper photography tips, locations and stories from professional wildlife and nature photographer John E. Marriott.
- Winter wolf photography in Jasper
- Photographing Larches at Lake O’Hara in Yoho
- Photography for Fall Colours in Banff National Park
- Fall Moose Photography in Jasper
- Banff Wildflower Photography – Molar Meadows
Read feature articles of his experiences, reviews and exploits in the Canadian Rockies.
- Canadian Rockies Winter Vacations: Six great activities
- The Canadian Rockies in September, and, of course, dogs
- A tale of mystery and romance in Lake Louise
- Reader Reviews (and rips) Jasper’s Miss Italia
- Letting your Dog Run Free in Jasper
- Getting Canadian Rockies Vacation Advice from the Experts
- Canadian Rockies Weather: August or September Vacation?
- Canoeing Banff: From Castle Junction to Banff
- Canadian Rockies Mountain Biking: Jasper Trails
- Jasper National Park Mountain Biking Trails
Read feature articles of his experiences, reviews and exploits in the Alberta Adventure Guide.
- Before Summer Ends in the Canadian Rockies: Visit Lake Louise
- Before Summer ends in the Canadian Rockies: Camp Jasper
- Canadian Rockies FAQ: Working in Jasper National Park
- Before Summer Ends in the Canadian Rockies: See the Waterfalls!
- Before Summer Ends in the Canadian Rockies: More Jasper Mountain Biking
- Before Summer Ends in the Canadian Rockies: Canoeing in Banff
- Before Summer Ends in the Canadian Rockies: Go Hiking!
Canmore, Alberta Video Vault
Canmore and Kananaskis Country Live Webcams
We are pleased to offer you Canmore's live webcams of the Three Sisters Mountain Range, Downtown Canmore, Bow Valley Trail, Elevation Place, Canmore Nordic Centre, Civic Centre Plaza and Kananaskis Heli Tours.